- 2 ripe plantains
- Cup of oil or butter
Equipments You Will Need
- A pan or skillet
- Frying ladle
- Serving utensils
1. Heat the oil in a skillet.Add the oil or butter to the skillet and heat over medium-low to medium heat. Give it a minute or two to heat up, but do not wait for it to start smoking.
- Use butter if you want to create a richer, more dessert-like plantain dish.
- Use oil if you plan to serve the plantains as a side dish. Olive oil, safflower oil, corn oil, and coconut oil are all good options.
2. Peel and slice the plantains. Remove the skin and divide the plantains into slices or halves. Cut the plantains into 1/4-inch (6.35-mm) slices if you plan on frying them and serving them without additional seasonings or sweeteners.
3. Sauté the plantains until browned. Add the plantains to the skillet and fry for 2 minutes or until golden-brown on the bottom. Flip with a spatula and Sauté the other side for an additional 1 or 2 minutes.
- Arrange the plantains in a single layer inside the pan to ensure even browning.
- Do not allow the plantains to blacken
4. Remove the plantains from the heat. Drain the oil from the plantains by using a colander or paper towel.
5. Serve hot. Fried plantains should be eaten immediately for the best flavor.